These Unicorn Cupcakes are the PERFECT cupcakes if you want to wow your guests and have them wondering just how you managed to swirl together four different colors of frosting. I was actually shocked it worked! These are fun and easy to make (because I cheated and used box mix) which is delicious so who can complain? But, if you have a “from scratch” cupcake recipe you want to use then more power to ya!
These are great for birthdays, kid parties (they’ll be the most impressed by this recipe, guaranteed), and really any fiesta that needs a splash of color. If you’re making these for a kid’s party I suggest calling them unicorn poop if you really want their eyes to pop out of their heads. This recipe can easily be made into any color palette that suits your taste (I know not everyone is fascinated by pastels and pinks) and if you try something new I would love to see your creations! Just throw up a link in the comments section so I can see all the amazing cupcake artists out there.
Funfetti Cupcakes with Swirled Cream Cheese Frosting and Purple Sprinkles!
1. Set oven to degrees on the back of the box and line cupcake tins with cupcake liners. (I chose white so you can see the sprinkles).
2. Follow the instructions on the back of the Funfetti Cake Mix, using the egg whites recipe.
3. Add in extra rainbow sprinkles because the box never gives enough!
4. Pour cupcake mix into cupcake tin, filling each about 3/4 of the way. (I like my cupcakes to be large so I will fill the full 3/4 instead of trying to make all 24 cupcakes).
5. Bake the cupcakes according to the box but be sure to check on them every so often because everyone’s oven is different.
6. Remove from oven and allow to fully cool before frosting.
7. Make the cream cheese frosting from above.
8. Mix in half (8oz) tub of whipped topping (this makes the frosting more sturdy and have a lighter whipped taste).
9. Split frosting evenly into four different bowls.
10. Mix the four different neon food colors to desired shade.
11. Take piping bag and add a scoop of each color on top of the other. Ex: Add spoonful of pink, then a spoonful of blue on top, then a spoonful of green, until you are back to pink again. (Only fill bag about halfway). Or you can use a special blending piping bag but I used a normal one and it worked just fine!
12. Pipe out frosting with Star Piping Tip, starting from the outside of the cupcake and slowly moving clockwise into the middle of the cupcake. You will start to see the colors swirl together. Each cupcake will look different!
13. If the colors start to blend together too much then just switch out the piping bag (I did not have this problem, just do not squeeze the bag too hard and try to go slow).
14. After all the cupcakes are frosted….add sprinkles!
15. Keep these in the fridge until you use them or else the frosting will start to get droopy! Friends and family will be super impressed by your magical unicorn skills!